Wednesday

Genesis

My first taste of freedom came on two wheels.  It was a feeling of liberation that I will never forget.  It came in the form of a Honda Spree I bought when I was 13 years old.  I rode that thing all the time and went everywhere.  Even though it only went 25 mph, I would take it out of town on the road.  Ride out to the lake and hit the beach or to the next town over.  I even rode it in cold Iowa winters, as long as there wasn't snow and ice on the ground.  It was on this little scooter that my eternal love for two wheels was born.



I got my first motorcycle, a Suzuki Katana 750, when I was 17.  I loved riding it, but after after numerous near death experiences, I decided I wanted something more comfortable for cruising.  I got rid of the Suzuki with the intentions of buying a cruiser.  However, getting married and starting a family put the kibosh on my motorcycle plans and incited a 7 year hiatus from riding.



In 2007 my brother and I started detailing cars.  One client asked us to detail her husband's Harley.  After doing his bike I began getting more bikes and eventually the business turned into a motorcycle detailing shop.  This is when my love for two wheels re-emerged.  Motorcycles have been my burning passion ever since.

Although I was able to borrow bikes now and then, I was dying to get my own bike again.  Being a father of three and a sole provider, money is always tight, so I had to find something super cheap.  I came across and barn find Yamaha XS850 and purchased it for $200.  I got it running, stripped it down and began rebuilding it the way I wanted it.  Before I got it done someone offered to buy it from me, so I sold it and began looking for my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment